Thursday, October 29, 2015

Lolita in the Workplace

Hello, all!

Today's article is about something I've seen mentioned a bit recently, and something that applies to me and my daily life! I want to talk about wearing lolita in the workplace - specifically the appropriateness, reactions of co-workers, and general thoughts concerning it. 

I'll begin by saying that I work as a librarian for two scientific organizations that share a space. One of these organizations is more research oriented, so they are often my patrons. Other people I serve are students, outside scientists, and citizens who are curious about something related to what we do here. The library also serves as a meeting room for a community group one day a week. So basically, I deal with many kinds of people on a regular basis. 

In the beginning, I didn't wear lolita to work because I wasn't sure what reactions would be, plus I had a position that required more moving around and sometimes working with older things that carried dust and dirt. Still, many of my co-workers commented on my style, I guess because it was slightly different than what they were used to seeing. Our company doesn't actually have a dress code, and many of our scientists are out in the field, so you get used to seeing people in t-shirts and khakis. On a flip-note, we also have a regulatory group that often wears business casual to work each day. It's a really mixed bag for sure.

When I began wearing lolita to work, it was pretty casual. Usually something like a simple JSK, flats, and a small or no petticoat. I figured, it wasn't like anyone here actually knows what lolita is, so they weren't going to be judging me if I didn't look perfect. I want to mention as well that our building is located on a college campus, and I often go for coffee runs at the student center. The dress-code for students these days seems to be pretty lazy, so even just wearing some weird dress was out-of-place in a way. I imagine the looks and comments I've gotten from students are similar to lolita who wear their coords to classes in college. Sometimes you get the stink-eye, and other times people will come up and compliment you profusely. Nothing new, really, since that's typically the general public's reaction as well. 

I don't think my "work coords" have changed too much. I've gotten a bit braver about wearing lolita to work because at this point, someone might pay me a compliment, but even my boss doesn't really say anything about it. If he does, it's positive. What this means to me is that the people at my company value my hard work more than they do what I look like. That's the good thing about working at a place with no dress code, I guess!

For reference on a work coord, here's what I'm wearing today. Ignore my messy office, please! We've been working on moving things around so it's been a bit chaotic.


Anyway, here are some general points I want to make if you're considering being a "work lolita":

  • I would advise against wearing lolita to any job interview unless it's a company that values creativity. If you're applying for a super professional job, you want your abilities to be the main focus, not what you're wearing. 
  • Always make sure that your workplace is OK with you wearing it. If you have a dress code, try to follow those limits. There might still be a way for you to wear classic or casual lolita if it follows the rules.
  • If it's not okay, don't sweat it. Not being able to wear lolita to work doesn't make you any less of a lolita. Plus, it can always be a special thing for afternoons or weekends!
  • If you work in a job where you are dealing with the public, it might be best to have your outfits be toned down. Regular classic or gothic might be a better option than OTT sweet. You have to remember that making a good impression on your workplace sometimes has to come before your style preferences.
I hope this post was helpful if you're considering wearing lolita in the office. Above all else, be professional! 

As a final goodbye, have a picture of my desktop monitor. A work lolita's gotta have her print wallpaper!!



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment